Child Protection Online Tutoring
Introduction and Purpose
Slough Tuition Centre Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy for Online Tutoring Purpose is to be used in addition to all the safeguarding and child protection parameters and procedures outlined in the ‘Slough Tuition Centre Child Protection and Safeguarding Children Policy’. This policy is designed to expand child protection and safeguarding parameters and procedures to any online tutoring that takes place at STC, also relevant is the Slough Tuition Centre Data Protection Policy for Schools and Volunteers.
As a Reminder
All children have an absolute right to a childhood free from abuse, neglect or exploitation.
Slough Tuition Centre believes that in all matters concerning child protection and safeguarding, the welfare and protection of the young people we work with is of paramount consideration.
All adults involved in Slough Tuition Centre’s activities and who come into contact with children have a duty of care to safeguard and promote their welfare. This policy and the procedures contained within it exist not to discourage adults from being involved in the work of Slough Tuition Centre but to ensure, as far as possible, that people who may abuse children do not get the opportunity to do so.
- There is a duty placed upon us to ensure that all adults who work with or on behalf of our young people are competent, confident and safe to do so.
- Adults working or volunteering for Slough Tuition Centre are responsible for their own actions and behaviour and should avoid any conduct that would lead a reasonable person to question their motivation or intention.
- Everyone involved in Slough Tuition Centre activities must follow Slough Tuition Centre’s Code of Conduct.
- They must also be familiar with the steps to be taken in the event of becoming aware of, suspecting or receiving allegations of abuse.
For all online tutoring completed in the name of Slough Tuition Centre, Slough Tuition Centre will provide:
- Clear staff training in how to monitor child protection and safeguarding in online tutoring sessions.
- Clear tutor (volunteer) training on how to conduct themselves in a safe and appropriate manner throughout online tutoring sessions.
Designated Safeguarding Officer
A designated Safeguarding Officer who is responsible for;
- Supporting and training all staff and volunteers involved in Slough Tuition Centre’s work.
- Ensuring that all Slough Tuition Centre staff and volunteers are sufficiently vetted.
- To acts as the main point of contact in the event of any allegation or disclosure.
- To act acts as the main point of contact between Slough Tuition Centre and partner schools.
STC designated safeguarding officer is Mandeep who can be contacted on 01753318318 or via email on email@example.com
Slough Borough Council Safeguarding Contact Details
Office hours – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Safeguarding adults: 01753 690444
Safeguarding children and young people: 01753 875362
Prevent coordinator: 07540 147340
Out of office hours
Adult & child safeguarding referral: 01344 786543
Prevent Engagement Team (Thames Valley Police): 01753 506 291 / 506059
Prevent National Security Hotline: 0800 789 321
Emergency – urgent police or medical attention call: 999
The safe and limited access storage of all data and recording generated as a result of online sessions. GDPR apply as per the Slough Tuition Centre Data Protection policies.
Tutor Online Code of Conduct
All tutors who work through Slough Tuition Centre online sessions are required to adhere to the following code of conduct:
- Tutors will only conduct online tutoring with their pupils at the designated tutoring times and dates advertised by Slough Tuition Centre.
- Tutors will conduct online tutoring either in a workplace or location that does not expose personal information or access to inappropriate background content.
- Tutors will be dressed appropriately in a manner that would be suitable for their attendance at a school in person.
- Tutors will keep their video stream ‘on’ for the duration of their sessions.
- Tutors will not record video, still images or audio of any tutoring sessions.
- Tutors will never disclose their phone, email or other communication details with their pupil nor request their pupils’ through the online platform.
- Tutors will conduct their sessions without disruption (mobile phones should be set to silent and away from gaze) or supervision by any other persons not approved by Slough Tuition Centre.
- Tutors will not share any links to online content or websites that contain anything other than educational resources that directly link to the content of their sessions and Slough Tuition Centre workbooks. If in doubt of the validity of any websites or material, please get in contact with the Slough Tuition Centre team.
- Tutors will not take any screenshots of sessions.
- Tutors consent to the recording and safe storage of online sessions for up to one term past the date of recording, unless recordings are deemed to be needed by the Designated Safeguarding Officer. This is for monitoring and safeguarding purposes only.
- Tutors consent to the monitoring of all online sessions by Slough Tuition Centre staff either live during the tutorial or afterwards in a systematic random review of safeguarding procedures.
- Tutors will report any concerns about safeguarding or child protection as well as follow all Slough Tuition Centre safeguarding and child protection procedures outlined in the main text of the ‘Slough Tuition Centre Child Protection and Safeguarding Protection Policy.
- Tutors will follow any additional requirements as requested by individual school policies regarding digital working.
Pupil Online Code of Conduct
All schools or parent /carer who partner with Slough Tuition Centre agree to the following code of conduct for their pupils/children involved in online sessions:
- Pupils will only receive online tutoring at the designated tutoring times and dates advertised by Slough Tuition Centre, in agreement with their school/parent/carer.
- Pupils who receive online tutoring from their home shall do so with a parent or guardian present in the same room.
- Pupils will be dressed appropriately in either their uniform or appropriate attire for attendance at a school event.
- Pupils who receive online tutoring at school shall do so with a responsible adult present in the same room.
- Pupils will conduct online tutoring either in a workplace or location that does not expose personal information.
- If broadband speed permits, pupils will keep their video stream ‘on’ for the duration of their sessions.
- Pupils will have any mobile phones on silent and out of gaze during sessions, or completely away as dictated by their school’s policy.
- Pupils will not record video, still images or audio of any tutoring sessions.
- Pupils will never disclose their phone, email or other communication details with their tutor nor request those of their tutor through the online platform.
- Pupils will not share any links to online content or websites that contain
anything other than educational resources that directly link to the content of their sessions and Slough Tuition Centre workbooks.
- Pupils will not take any screenshots of sessions.
- Pupils consent to the recording and safe storage of online sessions for up to one term past the date of recording, unless recordings are deemed to be needed by the Designated Safeguarding Officer.
- Pupils consent to the monitoring of all online sessions by STC staff either live during the tutorial or afterwards in a systematic random review of safeguarding procedures.